Friday 2 June 2017

Finding Your Voice








As I have immersed myself into writing, I have found that many writing advisers put forward ways to help emerging authors to find their voice. One of the obvious ways is ‘simply’ to write. This can be done once you have overcome the fear of the blank page, your internal editor “Don’t write that!” and found a topic or story that you feel compelled to write. It all sounds so easy, yet the practise alternates between sluggish sentences and whirlwinds of notions fighting for their space on the page.

For me the process has involved more than just a discovery of my writing style (and that is still developing.) There has also been an uncovering. This has been an internal peeling of layers; finding out what is important and a greater sense of who I am. Not all of it has been pleasant and much of it has centred on voices - whose voices am I listening to? Am I allowing my voice to be heard? Which voices will I choose to follow?

The three most helpful activities that have helped me through this process are finding time for silence, talking with trusted friends and making writing a regular discipline. There are so many voices filling up the spaces of our lives. Thanks to social media, everyone now has their opportunity to share. It is in the silence that I able to fully reconnect with myself and to the One who created me. It has been so precious to have regular times connecting with friends who know and love me. This blog came out of the decision to write regularly and to set myself a weekly deadline. Nine months later, I am revising my first non-fiction book and working on the voices of my characters for my novel.

It is not just writers who need to find their voice, we all do. To find and accept those passions that make us unique. To dig deep inside and discover the gold that lies within. Each one of us has it. Each one of us has value to bring to our families, friends and communities. So often our voice remains a whisper. When it does, people don’t hear it and we run the risk of being ignored, overlooked or shouted over. Your voice deserves to be heard. Not more than any other voice, but we need to hear yours.


When you’re aware that the other person in a conversation is wearing shoes or even boots because your words are being trampled on, your voice is not being heard. It’s the indecision between saying what you really think and saying what you are expected to say. It’s being sure that even if you come across as a selfish slob, you are not one. All too often I fear my voice will be too loud, too demanding or misunderstood. I am learning to recognise that even among the millions of voices vying for attention; mine has the right to be heard. So does yours.

It might help to ask yourself “Where am I holding back?” “In what instances am I biting my tongue and then regretting doing so?” “Where could I speak up a bit more?” You may think you are only one small voice, but lone small things DO make a difference. A lit candle in the darkness, impacts upon ALL the darkness not just the area closest to its glow. The darkness is changed by the light of one flame.



No comments:

Post a Comment