Friday 18 November 2016

Be kind to yourself





I’m giving a talk to a group of teenagers next week about identity and sexuality – a big subject! As I have sifted through my research, I have come to the conclusion that the one big thing I want them to go away with is – ‘be yourself and be kind.’ This is probably a big ask for them. There are so many pressures on them to conform to whatever the societal standard is, to give themselves a label all in the midst of hormones, exams and probably a hundred other complicated situations and decisions.

But it’s not just teenagers that need to know it’s ok to be themselves, to be kind to themselves and one another - we need it too. There are the pressures on all of us to fulfil the milestones: find the perfect career, the house, the partner, have kids, be financially secure… and within each of those areas are probably other areas of pressure that can cause anxiety and depression.

Even today some of my friends are making a stand against being questioned about decisions in their lives that they feel are private ones. No one wants to be asked when they’re going to settle down or have kids or buy a house. The truth is that we can only be who we are right now. So much external pressure comes from questioning our futures, and really this is out of our control.

On Monday I will be standing in front of over 100 teenagers who will be feeling the pressure to be in a relationship, to text someone a private image of themselves, to identify their sexual orientation, to find their value. I really want them to learn that it is ok to be who they are right now, to be kind with themselves about the issues and questions that they find confusing and to find someone safe that they can talk to. Maybe the particular pressures change slightly as we get older but maybe we still need the same advice.

Sainsbury’s have their ‘Be good to yourself’ range encouraging us to eat things that will nourish our bodies but I think that nourishing our souls (if you don’t like that word, then who you essentially are) is equally important. I wonder how often we do that. I wonder how often we let ourselves off the hook. Rather than trying to rush forwards, I want to focus on ways in which to be more me, right now.

When did you last tell yourself ‘well done’ for something you achieved? Our inner voice is often so negative – you wouldn’t say those things to your friend, why do you tell yourself ‘you’re having a bad hair day’ ‘You can’t do that!’ ‘Your bum definitely looks big in that!’ It’s difficult to be good to ourselves. Perhaps we think it is overly sentimental, too ‘American’ or too arrogant to say good things to ourselves. But the sad thing is many of us have spent a long time soaking up the negative views of others and believing that somehow we are not good enough.

Do not conform but be transformed – we buy into the media hype, the cultural lies and find ourselves drowning in ‘shoulds’, ‘oughts’ and ‘what ifs’ – the alternative is scary, cos the alternative is saying “No” and doing life a different way. It takes courage to go a different way, it takes a change of perspective to let things go and try again, it takes perseverance to believe things will get better. 

 
What pressures are you under to conform?
What words of encouragement could you say to yourself?
What activity would be a kind act to yourself?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi, good luck with your talk on Monday. Nice work.

    Great words of encouragement are: "You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." I read them by chance in a prose poem when I was about 16 and found them very reassuring. The great thing for and about teenagers is that the future is a wide open space ahead of them and they can trust in the future working out well for them, even if the present is not.

    The poem also includes the words: "And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." I forget to tell myself that everything will be fine. And I forget to believe it. I somehow am convinced that something is always wrong (with me or how I am doing things or what people think of me). It would be much nicer to think that nothing is so deeply wrong, even on a simple everyday level.

    We know too much through the media about the evils of the world, and today's teenagers have very little escape from social media channels. Great that you are giving an inspiring talk to some of them. The ones that need to hear your message certainly will. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! Thanks E. I hope it's okay if I share your poetic quotations in my talk today - I think they're really helpful :)

      Delete
    2. Suzi, I just read your Be kind to yourself blog post again and it's really great. "The truth is that we can only be who we are right now." Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. My daughter , who has just turned 20, has the words of Oscar Wilde written across the top of her mirror. It reads, 'Be yourself, everyone else I'd taken already'.
    It takes courage but being ourselves is the one thing that can make us content with the skin we were born with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. A friend gave me a framed picture with the quotation 'In a world where you can be anything, be yourself!' It sits by my computer. It's so hard to get this message out there when there are so many very different messages being thrown at them.

      Delete