Saturday 12 November 2016

Dear Friend...



   
                                                                                         
One of the massive benefits of not having a 9 – 5 job anymore is being freer to catch up with friends. Some of these catch-ups have become regular events in my diary and I am greatly appreciating sharing my life with these special people in a way that was not possible previously.

During some of these encounters I have wanted to say more, share more deeply but somehow the face-to-faceness of it all has held me back. I have been reminded that I felt similarly at school and my best friend and I used to write to each other on a daily basis after school. Although we would spend time at school together, both of us found it easier to share the more personal stuff on paper. I can recall the anticipation of waiting to read her next instalment. I still have those letters – there are folders of them. I was reading something recently about photos being the possession that people would save from a fire, I would have to add letters to that. My husband thinks it odd that I save my letters and cards in shoeboxes and perhaps it is a little sentimental but the re-reading of these communications creates immediate memories and when I tried to get rid of some recently, I found myself both laughing and crying at accounts of my sister’s life in Nepal and missing what now feels like simpler times as I re-read notes of jokes from 6th form days. I couldn’t get rid of one – there is plenty of room in the garage!

A letter is so much more than the words on the page because something more tangible is being exchanged. You end up holding the paper that they handled. A piece of their world has entered yours and you get to keep it.

Perhaps I will be sounding old as I post this but in an age of technological communication I believe to lose letter writing is to lose something precious. I was a little surprised to find that there are books written on the topic of writing letters, one of which by J Willis Westlake dates back to 1876. Within its pages he describes rules on composition, what to do with mistakes (re-write the entire letter, of course) and even advice on what kind of paper and ink to use. Whilst I think some of his details and rules are superfluous the act itself provides a treasure for the moment it is received but also if kept for years to come. Westlake himself says ‘There is no other kind of writing that possesses for us such a living human interest, as letters, for there is no other that comes so near to the private lives, ‘to the business and bosoms’ of the writers.’

My sister has so impressed me with her letter writing. She wrote to me regularly whilst she and her family were overseas and now she writes weekly to her sons, both of whom are now at university. So perhaps with the season of Christmas approaching now is a good time to reconnect with the art of letter writing and perhaps deepen some relationships as a result. I’m sure it will do me good to reflect on the special people in my life and maybe some goodness will find its way into an envelope.


A good handwritten letter is a creative act, and not just because it is a visual and tactile pleasure. It is a deliberate act of exposure, a form of vulnerability, because handwriting opens a window on the soul in a way that cyber communication can never do. You savor their arrival and later take care to place them in a box for safe keeping.’ (Catherine Field, writing for the New York Times)
  

No questions this week – just an encouragement to put pen to paper. If a letter feels too daunting, start with a card!

No comments:

Post a Comment