Monday 13 February 2017

Waiting For Wisdom








What if every test of endurance is less about achieving the goal and more about gaining experience and as a result, wisdom?

I’ve been back in the garden recently and what looked dead is now slowly coming back to life. If I only looked for the flowers or the fruit, I would miss so much of the beauty of the whole process. Tiny buds of potential, bright green shoots fighting their way through the heavy, wet earth reveal that although the big picture is still stripped bare, closer to the surface there is a lot going on and there is still more than my eyes don’t see.

I’m beginning to see the same is true for you and me. We spend so much time focused on the ‘fruit’, the goal that we miss the process. I have begun to question; what if there’s no ‘fruit’ – no creative community built through mindfulness and art – no published book. Would it still be worth it? I am beginning to conclude that the answer is ‘Yes!’ It will be worth it because of all the new relationships that are being forged, all the new things I am learning. It will be worth it for the experience.

Gaining experience is the focus of many advertising campaigns, often it seems with the purpose of allowing us to post the gratifying photo on Facebook.  But experience has a more profound purpose than becoming an anecdote on our Twitter feed; experience takes us deeper into the human condition. This is the precursor to wisdom.

Wisdom does not hold a prominent position in our culture. It is not taught in schools, it is not discussed in the mass media, it has been sidelined to the domains of philosophy and religion. The Ancient Greeks were certainly fans of wisdom but more than that it was something they actively sought after. For Aristotle, one of the Greek words for wisdom, sophia, (the act of reasoning, discovering and questioning) was limited if it did not lead to phronesis (practical wisdom – the ability to weigh up situations and act benevolently).

What a difference it would make if we paused to think about the events, choices and circumstances of our lives and considered what they might be teaching us, how we might do things better in the future and how our future choices could benefit others.

No doubt all of the world’s a stage, but you and I are involved in the task of improvisation rather than learning our lines. Each scene, each experience can take us forwards towards wisdom and compassion if we make the choice not to rush the finale but to see each scene as an opportunity to connect with the other players, with ourselves, with the set-designer.



Whilst thinking about endurance and achieving goals. I came across this definition for endurance ‘the capacity of something to last or to withstand wear and tear’. It’s referring to objects, but I really love it as a definition for myself and the things I am creating in my life. In a world where everything is disposable, including it seems relationships, and people, I want to create things that will last. Trouble and difficulty are inevitable, sometimes it seems like the solutions to these problems are to give up or to get a new one. Enduring the tough times, dealing with the confrontations, making the difficult decisions creates something more beautiful and valuable than simple moving on to something or someone new.


How can we gain more wisdom?
How can we help each other develop practical wisdom from our experience?
Who do you look to for wisdom?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi, your latest post was well worth the wait! Below is a link to some wisdom I found most recently (hope the link works).

    Wisdom does lurk in mysterious places. But you can find it in some well known places too. Often, I seek it out in simple quotes. But sometimes I need a bit more convincing, and then I look to TED (eg. Brene Brown), LinkedIn (Liz Ryan), YouTube interviews of my favourite celebrities (DP/30), human interest stories, wikipedia biographical information. So I'm grateful for the internet making these things so readily available, but use with caution. Before the internet, I would just have relied on my favourite music lyrics and movies.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/02/11/five-signs-youre-successful-whether-you-know-it-or-not/#36e7fde862be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi, US commencement speeches are good too, like Steve Jobs, and this one (in case you haven't already seen it).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is my top favourite at the moment:

    Expectations are pre-meditated resentments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, here are two goodies sharing their wisdom, thoughts on culture, spirituality, openness, psyche, maturity and regret:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtyOjJdA194

    ReplyDelete