Friday 7 December 2018

Telly Temptations


The days are short, the weather is grey, the perfect antidote to all this misery is to curl up on the sofa and turn the box on.

The 21st November was World Television Day. Back in the nineties the UN declared World Television Day – advocating the universal nature of the small screen with its ability to unite.

I suppose Dynasties, or perhaps any David Attenbrough show, could be held up as an example. People from different backgrounds and of varying ages have been transfixed by the hour long animal narrative. Even cats succumbed to watching their cousins on the silver screen.

Whilst televisual streaming may be in decline amongst millennials, we all seem very attached to one screen or another and it seems the darker, colder days only make us more so.

A few weeks ago, having noticed the number of books on my bedside table increasing, I decided to evaluate my TV diet. Having the ability to record and save programmes so easily means I also had a stack of programmes waiting for me to click and watch.

Following a writing warning – reading books increases creativity, whilst watching TV stifles it – I decided to delete a number of recordings and evaluate the number of series I am following. This has resulted in giving up a Soap I have followed on and off for years!


Having had a busy week of various evening activities the draw of the TV has not had it’s usual pull. However, I am aware of it seductive lights and the escapism it offers.

The Autumn has opened up many doors for us with new sports, creative activities and people to meet. I am determined not to lose these new sparkly things in the face of a rainy, dark Winter.

Instead I am burning candles for cosy lights, stacking books downstairs, rather than by the bed, dusting off my colouring pens and books and seeing Christmas cards as opportunities to send more than a greeting and get back to some old-fashioned letter writing.


If you’re wanting some reading recommendations:
I am about to join a book club – the book for December is Murder in the Snow. A Cotswold Christmas Mystery by Gladys Mitchell, I am already reading a book of short stories by Haruki Murakami, Men without Women. I have also started re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. This has brought back a childhood nostalgia that seems fitting for the season. It could be the perfect bedtime reading with younger ones too.





No comments:

Post a Comment